Sad to say, I have not seen any of the films that were nominated for Best Picture this year. The last time I went to the movies was in November of 2010, which is actually a horrifying thing to realize about oneself. Â This long dry spell is not a statement on the quality of today’s cinematic offerings, rather on the scarcity of reliable local babysitters.
But I still watched the Oscars last night, because it’s just so dang fun to do so. Â And though I missed about a fifty-minute chunk that did not get recorded (darn DVR!), I still Â came away with several strong impressions.
* I really want to see The Artist. Â Any movie that wins so many big awards must be doing something right. Â Plus I have silent films in my DNA (my great-grandfather was a movie cameraman in the twenties), so the entire concept intrigues me.
* Do you remember the very first time Billy Crystal Â hosted? Â I was in high school, and I adored his opening medley and his jokes. Â I loved having him back.
* It’s great that Christopher Plummer won an Oscar, but to me he will always be Captain Von Trapp. Â Always. Â (I have a feeling I’m not alone in this.)
* It’s great to see Â Colin Firth presenting the Best Actress Oscar, but to me he will always be Mr. Darcy. Â Always. Â (Again: I have a feeling I’m not alone.)
* I missed most of the red carpet arrivals, but I did catch Natalie Portman’s red dress, which I thought was absolutely gorgeous.
*I love love LOVE how Meryl Streep thanked her husband first so she didn’t get cut off by the orchestra before she could do so. Â Awwww.
Did you watch? Â What were your impressions?