Now that Thanksgiving is over, the Christmas season has officially begun for me.Â (Usually, I refuse to listen to Christmas carols until after Turkey Day.Â It just feels too much like I’m cheating that lovely holiday, you know?)Â But now I’ve busted out the Christmas CDs, the tree is up, and I’m starting to think about replenishing my store of holiday wrapping paper.Â ‘Tis the season.
There are so many things to like about Christmas.Â Obviously, the fact that God was born of woman and came to live among us on this messy planet is the biggest.Â But there are lots of little things, too, that always make me smile.Â Here are just a few:
1) Cars with Christmas trees tied on top
2) Advent calendars –Â the ones with lots of glitter, preferably printed in Germany
3) Eggnog (I don’t really drink it much, honestly, but I like how festive it is)
4) White lights shining in bare trees
5) “A Charlie Brown Christmas” — a classic, now and forever
6) Re-reading Dylan Thomas’ A Child’s Christmas in Wales
7) Nativity sets, like this one at our church:
So what are the little things that you love?Â What is Christmas to you?